Welcome to Cannon’s Camp Ground United Methodist Church, an integral part of the Christian community in the Cannon’s Camp Ground region of Spartanburg, SC. Our church offers a multitude of opportunities for spiritual, emotional, and physical growth for people of all ages.
What’s Happening at Cannon’s in October?
We have a wide variety of ministries for all ages.
Join us for worship each Sunday, and for special worship services offered throughout the year.
Sunday Worship Service – 10:30 a.m.
- Our services offer opportunities for praise and worship through prayer, music, scripture, meaningful messages, and other means of grace.
- Nursery care is provided by loving adults for children ages 3 and under. The nursery is located just to the left of the sanctuary.
We have special services throughout the year. There are a variety of services and events during the seasons of Lent and Advent. We also celebrate our Heritage Sunday each spring with an outdoor service reminiscent of our Camp Meeting legacy.
“Train children in the right way, and when old, they will not stray.”
Children have many ways they can participate in our church. We keep things fun and exciting by offering a variety of opportunities for our children.
- Sunday School is available for children age 3 – 5th grade
- Children’s Church is available during the service for pre-K – 2nd grade
- Nursery is available during Sunday School and the worship service for newborns – age 3
- KidQuest (Kindergarten-5th grade) – this program meets on Wednesday nights from early September until early May from 5:30 – 7:00 p.m. This is a fun time of fellowship and learning for the Kids. There is a meal at 5:30, followed by a lesson using a curriculum that features Bible stories and games/activities that reinforce the lesson. Kids are always encouraged to bring friends each week!
Cannon’s Camp Ground is proud to sponsor Cub Scout Pack 975. For more information on how to join or participate, visit their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/Pack975SC/
- Vacation Bible School (Pre-K – 5th grade) Online Registration
- Christmas Program/Concert
- Easter Egg Hunt
- Spring Children’s Program
- SummerQuest – elementary-age children participate in a wide variety of day trips around the area during their summer break
- Asbury Hills (a Methodist Church camp)
- Trunk or Treat
“Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.”
(1 Timothy 4:12)
Youth in grades 6-12 have weekly meetings on Sundays from 5:00-7:00 pm and have the same opportunities as the children in terms of recreation, fellowship, Christian Education, etc.
“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”
Adults, ages 18 and older, have opportunities in spiritual nurture, fellowship, outreach, and more. Adult ministries also incorporate many of the same opportunities available to families, youth, and children. However, there are some unique opportunities available for adults.
- Annual Women’s Spiritual Retreat (Spring)
- Sunday School
- Men’s Ministry
- Ladies Night (Sponsored by UMW)
- Socials and dinners
- Nursery workers
- Salkehatchie Summer Service
- Pairs and Spares (Senior Adults)
- United Methodist Women
- Ushers, greeters, worship leaders
- Sunday School teacher & assistants
- Chancel and Handbell Choirs
Seek the Lord and his strength; seek his presence continually!
(1 Chronicles 16:11)
We have something for everyone’s spiritual journey here at Cannon’s Camp Ground UMC.
- Wednesday Morning Bible Study – meets every Wednesday at 10:00 am, led by the Pastor
- Bible Study/Book Study – meets on Tuesday or Thursday evenings during the fall and spring, led by the Family Life Ministry Leader
Sunday School classes are available for all ages. Children and youth classes are divided to be age-appropriate. We currently have six adult classes which are described below.
- College – this class is primarily college-aged young adults. They use a variety of materials for lessons.
- Contemporary Christian – this class is primarily married couples with children still living at home. They use a variety of materials for lessons.
- Wayne Chapman Friendship Class– this class is primarily married couples. They use a variety of materials for lessons.
- Christian Fellowship Class – this class is primarily married couples who are retired or nearing retirement. Their lessons come from the Adult Bible Study (the United Methodist curriculum based on the International Lesson Series).
- Loving Hearts – this class is primarily older senior adults. Their lessons come from the Adult Bible Study (the United Methodist curriculum based on the International Lesson Series).
Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts.
The music ministry of Cannon’s Camp Ground United Methodist Church is comprised of individuals giving praise and thanksgiving to God through the gift of music. There are a variety of music ministry programs available, depending on interest and availability. The programs include:
The Chancel Choir provides music ministry at the 10:30 a.m. Sunday service. The choir also participates in special holiday services that are scheduled in observance of the Christian year. Rehearsals are held weekly at 7:00 PM on Wednesdays and membership is open to all, regardless of prior experience.
Adult Handbell Choir
The group participates in worship services and community events and is open to all who are interested. Practice takes place at 6:00 p.m. each Monday.
Mission opportunities abound at Cannon’s Camp Ground UMC. Whether it is through monetary support, material goods, or simply acts of love and compassion, we have accepted the call of Jesus to serve others. In addition to numerous local missions, we also support local, state, and global missions through our apportionments and through the United Methodist Women and the Men’s Ministry.
Cannon’s Camp Ground United Methodist Church was established in 1789 by descendants of the John Cannon family, who had moved his family to this area from Culpepper, Virginia. The church at Cannon’s Camp Ground today is the result of years of growth from a small wooden church with a door in front, one on each side, and five windows to our present 485 seat sanctuary.
Although the first deed for our property named the church as McKindral’s Chapel, for most of its history our church has been known as Cannon’s Camp Ground. That is because camp meetings were held here for about 75 years during the 1800s.
The present church building is the result of years of additions, remodeling, and rebuilding. The sanctuary we worship in today is our fifth sanctuary, completed in 2000. The church has education facilities and a Family Life Center (with gym) which was added in 1991. These facilities have undergone several renovations in order to meet the needs of the church family. Sitting on almost 25 acres, we have a covered shelter and BBQ building behind the church where the old brush arbor meetings once took place. Across the street, we have a family park with picnic tables and a 1/3 mile walking track, and a softball field with a concession stand and restrooms.
Prayer time in the Sanctuary
Chancel Choir Practice
Meet Our Staff
From Interstate 85 South:
Take Exit 80 (Gossett Road.) Turn right onto Gossett Road.
From Interstate 85 North:
Take Exit 80 (Gossett Road.) Turn left (crossing over the interstate). Continue on Gossett Road until you reach the stop sign. Turn left onto Cannons Campground Road. Continue for about 4/10 of a mile. The church is on the right.
From Mary Black Hospital:
Drive away from Spartanburg on Skylyn Drive. Skylyn becomes Cannons Campground Road in a short distance. The church is approximately 4 miles from Mary Black, on the right.
Cannon’s Camp Ground UMC is located between Spartanburg and Cowpens at 3450 Cannons Campground Road.
Cannon’s Camp Ground United Methodist Church
3450 Cannons Campground Rd, Spartanburg, SC 29307
Each Sunday morning, regular worship services are held from 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. You should plan to arrive a few minutes prior to the start of Worship.
Parking is available in a large parking lot directly at the church with additional parking available across the street from the church. There is also special designated parking for visitors directly in front of the church sanctuary.
Whatever makes you comfortable. You will see men in suits and ties as well as casual sports shirts. You will see women in dresses, pants, and other casual wear.
The regular Sunday morning worship service usually lasts about 1 hour.
No. Everyone is welcome at the Communion Table, whether members of Cannon’s Camp Ground UMC or not, children or adults.
All children may attend the worship service with their parents if desired. A nursery is provided for children up to age 3 during the worship service.
Children, ages 4 and older, can worship with their parents during the regular worship service or they are invited to go to Children’s Church following the children’s moments.
The United Methodist Church shares a common history and heritage with other Methodist and Wesleyan bodies. The lives and ministries of John Wesley (1703-1791) and of his brother, Charles (1707-1788), mark the origin of their common roots.
As United Methodists, we have an obligation to bear a faithful Christian witness to Jesus Christ, the living reality at the center of the Church’s life and witness. To fulfill this obligation, we reflect critically on our biblical and theological inheritance, striving to express faithfully the witness we make in our own time.
Two considerations are central to this endeavor: the sources from which we derive our theological affirmations and the criteria by which we assess the adequacy of our understanding and witness.
Wesley believed that the living core of the Christian faith was revealed in Scripture, illumined by tradition, and confirmed by reason. Wesley was not a man of theory but action, and what he knew of the Word he lived, applying it to every phase of practical everyday living for God.
If you have been worshipping with us and are interested in becoming a member of this church, there are three ways to unite with the church: transfer of membership from another Methodist church, transfer from another denomination, or by profession of faith. If you have been baptized, it is not necessary to be baptized again. If you have not been baptized, you can be baptized when you join. If you would like further information on becoming a member or any information regarding Cannon’s Camp Ground UMC, please contact the minister.